AB Stanford University, 2001
AM Harvard University, 2006
PhD Harvard University, 2010
Religion and Politics, Central Asia, Soviet Union
Some Notable Publications
- From the Khan’s Oven: Studies on the History of Central Asian Religions in Honor of Devin DeWeese. (Edited with Allen J. Frank and Jeff Eden) Leiden: Brill, 2021.
- Soviet and Muslim: The Institutionalization of Islam in Central Asia. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017
- “Mantra: A Review Essay on Soviet Islam.” Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient, 63:3 (2020): 389-433.
My other publications are available on academia.edu.
- Nicole Harry
- Frederick Cochran (Co-Advised with Chad Bryant)
- Nurlan Kabdylkhak
- Kara Irvin
- Alexandr Shtumpf (Co-Advised with Chad Bryant)
Courses Taught (as schedule allows)
For current information about course offerings, click here.
- HIST 140-The World since 1945
- HIST 163—Modern Central Asia
- HIST 484—Islam in Russia
- HIST 511--9/11 in World History
- HIST 890—Readings in Modern Central Asian History