Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599
AB Stanford University, 2001
AM Harvard University, 2006
PhD Harvard University, 2010
Eren Tasar studies Central Asia, Institutions, Islam, Religion and Politics, Social History, and the Soviet Union.
- “Soviet Policies toward Islam: domestic and international considerations” in Phillip Muehlenbeck, ed. Religion and the Cold War: A Global Perspective (Vanderbilt University Press, 2012)
- “Islamically informed Soviet Patriotism in postwar Kyrgyzstan,” Cahiers du monde Russe 52/2-3 (2011)
- “The Central Asian Muftiate in Occupied Afghanistan, 1979–1987,” Central Asian Survey 30:2 (July 2011)
Courses Offered (as schedules allow)
For current course listings, consult the Registrar’s Schedule of Classes.
- HIST 163—Modern Central Asia
- HIST 176H—Freshman Seminar: 9/11 in World History
- HIST 398—Writing Central Asia: Historical and Literary Approaches to Eurasia
- HIST 483—Nation and Religion in Tsarist and Soviet Russia
- HIST 484—Islam in Russia
- HIST 890—Readings in Modern Central Asian History