STB Yale University, 1957
PhD Duke University, 1962
Memory and Violence [Especially Lynching and Memory, see introduction to At the Altar]; Suicide and Religion.
Some Notable Publications
- At the Altar of Lynching: Burning Sam Hose in the American South (Cambridge University Press, 2017)
- Religion in the American South: Protestants and Others in History and Culture [co-editor with Beth Barton Schweiger] (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 2004)
- "The Southern Rite of Human Sacrifice: Lynching and Religion in the South, 1875–1940," Journal of Southern Religion, volume 3 (2000).
- Sex, Gender, and the Politics of ERA: A State and the Nation [co-author] (New York: Oxford University Press, 1990)
- Religion in the Old South (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1977)
- Slavery and Methodism: A Chapter in American Morality 1780-1845 (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1965).