Currently she is preparing as the general editor the Oxford Handbook on Gender, War and the Western World since 1600. Her co-editors are Dirk Bönker, Stefan Dudink and Sonya Rose. The collection, which will be published by Oxford University Press, will investigate how gender, an amalgam of ideals and practices that give meaning to and socially differentiate male and female, contributed to the shaping of warfare and the military culture and was at the same time transformed by them. It is related to the interdisciplinary Duke-UNC Gender, War and Culture Series and the UNC Digital Humanities Project of the Online Bibliography, Filmography and Webography “Gender, War and the Western World since 1600”. Furthermore, she started to work on a new monograph titled Forgotten: Women and the Military in the Age of World Wars.
Together with Rafe Blaufarb and Alan Forrest she is also the editor of the Palgrave Macmillan Series “War, Culture and Society, 1750–1850.”
Her earlier book publications include:
- “Mannlicher Muth und Teutsche Ehre”. Nation, Militär und Geschlecht zur Zeit der Antinapoleonischen Kriege Preußens (Schöningh, 2002)
- Frauenalltag und Männerpolitik. Alltagsleben und gesellschaftliches Handeln von Arbeiterfrauen in der Weimarer Republik (JHW. Dietz. Nachf., 1990)
- War Memories: The Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars in Modern European Culture, ed. with Alan Forrest and Etienne François (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012/2013). For a flyer click here.
- Children, Families and States: Time Policies of Child Care, Preschool and Primary Schooling in Europe, ed. with Konrad H. Jarausch and Cristina Allemann-Ghionda (Berghahn Books, 2011/2013)
- Gender, War, and Politics: Transatlantic Perspectives, 1775–1830, ed. with Gisela Mettele and Jane Rendall (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010/2013)
- Representing Masculinity: Male Citizenship in Modern Western Culture, ed. with Stefan Dudink and Anna Clark (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008/2012). For a flyer click here.
- Civil Society and Gender Justice. Historical and Comparative Perspectives, ed. with Sonya Michel and Gunilla Budde (Berghahn Books, 2008/2011)
- Soldiers, Citizens and Civilians: Experiences and Perceptions of the French Wars, 1790–1820, ed. with Alan Forrest and Jane Rendall (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)
- Gendering Modern German History. Rewriting Historiography, ed. with Jean H. Quataert (Berghahn Books, 2007/2010, in German: Campus, 2008)
- Masculinities in Politics and War: Gendering Modern History, ed. with Stefan Dudink and John Tosh, (Manchester University Press, 2004)
- Home/Front: The Military, War and Gender in Twentieth-Century Germany (Berg Publishers, 2002; in German: Campus, 2002)
- Gendered Nations: Nationalisms and Gender Order in the Long Nineteenth Century (Berg Publishers, 2000)