Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599
BA Birmingham-Southern College, 1989
MA University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1991
PhD University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1997
Anne Mitchell Whisnant’s teaching, research, consulting, and writing focus on public history, digital and geospatial history, and the history of the U.S. National Parks. In 2006, UNC Press published her Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History, the first serious study of the development of the National Park Service’s most visited site. Through Primary Source History Services, which she runs with husband David Whisnant, Whisnant has been the co-principal historian on three book-length NPS projects: an administrative history of De Soto National Memorial, a Historic Resource Study of Cape Lookout National Seashore, and a visitor handbook for Shenandoah National Park.
Some Notable Publications
- “Driving Through Time: The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway” (http://docsouth.unc.edu/blueridgeparkway/ ), 2012
- Imperiled Promise: The State of History in the National Park Service [with Marla Miller, Gary B. Nash, and David Thelen] (Organization of American Historians/National Park Service, forthcoming, 2012
- Gateway to the Atlantic: Cape Lookout National Seashore Historic Resource Study [with David E. Whisnant] (National Park Service, forthcoming, 2012)
- Small Park, Large Issues: De Soto National Memorial and the Commemoration of a Difficult History [with David E. Whisnant] (National Park Service, 2007)
- Super-Scenic Motorway: A Blue Ridge Parkway History (University of North Carolina Press, 2006)
As adjunct faculty, Prof. Whisnant does not advise graduate students or honors thesis students.
Courses Offered (each fall)
For current course listings, consult the Registrar’s Schedule of Classes.
- HIST 671—Introduction to Public History